Run to be a part of the 2020-2021 NAHJ Chicago Board
The NAHJ Chicago Chapter is holding its 2020/2021 board elections. Consider taking your membership one step further by running for President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary or Social Media Coordinator. Keep in mind, our board members take their roles seriously. This is a “working board” that strives to accomplish having #MoreLatinosInNews. Plan to meet (virtually) at least once a month. Each year, the chapter focuses on three big events: the Nuevo Comienzo fundraiser in January, the spring Job Fair and the distribution of student scholarships. We also hold workshops, panels and other events throughout the year.
So if you think you have what it takes? Here’s what you need to do.
• You must be a “regular” status NAHJ member in good standing.
• You must collect 10 signatures from Chicago chapter members in good standing by September 15, 2020.
• Prepare a Candidate Statement that explains why you’re running and what you have to offer and submit it by September 15th.
• Online Poll will open on September 22, 2020.
• Polls close September 29th.
• Results will be revealed on or before October 1, 2020.
Please use the following link to collect your 10 signatures:
Chapter Officer Descriptions
• Ensuring the chapter works to fulfill a strategic plan on the local level.
• Carrying out requirements to maintain chapter certification, including submitting the annual report.
• Making statements on behalf of the chapter and preside at chapter events.
• Serve as the primary contact person for potential members and retain existing members.
• Head the job fair committee.
• Being acquainted with most chapter members and meet their needs within the NAHJ mission. It is often the president’s vision that guides the programming at the chapter level and helps develop the national organization through chapter work.
• Grooming a successor through outreach, recruitment and skills building. It is often the case that you will need to ask people to run for office, tell them what the job entails and encourage them with some examples of how it has benefited you.
• Facilitating, supporting and assisting with activities intended to support the mission of NAHJ, as managed by the NAHJ staff and approved by the Board of Directors.
• The president or any other board member from the chapter board must attend the annual convention. (Chapter may use its funds to pay for all or part of the convention expenses, however this it’s up to the chapter board’s discretion). Convening with other chapter presidents once a year is important, this meeting could also help with leadership training, skills building and networking.
• In the absence of the president, the vice president shall perform all duties of the president.
• When so acting, the vice president shall have all the powers of, and be subject to all the restrictions on the president.
• The vice president shall assist the president and shall have other powers and perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the chapter board.
• The vice president is the head of the scholarship committee- social media promotion and in contact with all student applicants and recipients.
• Responsible for submitting an annual chapter budget to the national office and completing annual financial reports.
• Recipient of the chapter’s bank statements
• Keeping the local bank account open and in good standing
• Issuing checks from the local bank account to pay for chapter expenses.
• Taking minutes at meetings and sending them to chapter leaders and members.
• Greeting attendees at NAHJ events and asking them to sign in and make a nametag.
• Writing chapter newsletters, e-mails or other communications.
• Creating fliers, signs or other communication pieces for the chapter as needed.
Social Media Coordinator- Strong digital background encouraged
• Manages all social media for the chapter.
• Oversees website content
• Post social media live during chapter events.
• Delegates social media posts to board members who head a committee.
*All board members assist in social media posts if needed. They also assist in checking and responding to the chapter email account.